WCPSS Acceleration Options
Due to the COVID-19 pandemic schools were forced to close March 13, 2020. The closure of school prevented parents from being able to get evaluations for their students for Early Kindergarten Entry. Students are typically tested in the Spring of the previous school year for an EKE placement for the upcoming school year.
EKE application packets for Year Round calendar schools are to be submitted August 17 - October 2.
The information below provides schools with an overview of how we will implement the EKE process. Below you will find two options:
Option 1: Schools Start with Students Experiencing In Person Learning
The EKE process will remain the same as outlined in the Early Kindergarten Entry School Packet.
Option 2: Remote Learning Start
During Remote Learning, all EKE processes will remain as similar as possible to processes outlined on the Early Kindergarten Entry School Packet . The EKE processes will mirror the remote learning structures that are established in a typical kindergarten remote classroom.
What is Single Subject Acceleration?
Single Subject Acceleration (SSA) is the practice of assigning a student to a higher-grade level than is typical, given the student's age, for the purpose of providing access to appropriately challenging learning opportunities. SSA is an acceleration practice that allows students to show mastery of the content of a course without having taken the course.
Does an AIG student receive gifted services even if they are participating in SSA or WGA?
Yes. Participating in SSA or WGA is not considered AIG services, therefore identified AIG students will receive gifted services as outlined in their Differentiated Education Plan (DEP), as an extension of grade-level standards. A student does not have to be identified in the Academically or Intellectually Gifted (AIG) Program to participate in SSA or WGA.
What is the process for Single Subject Acceleration?
Parents can nominate his/her child to skip a grade level of content in either Language Arts OR Mathematics.
Nomination forms will be available from your child’s school or through the online site listed below during the specified Nomination Windows. (See our dates below.)
Only students who are enrolled and attending WCPSS schools during the previous Nomination and Testing Windows will be eligible to participate in the in SSA during the upcoming school year. Schools will offer differentiation as needed for students entering WCPSS after the SSA deadlines.
Parents may nominate students for this accelerated practice ONLY within our school’s specified nomination window.
SSA Nomination and Testing for 2022 - 2023
To Be Determined - Usually March - May
Whole Grade Advancement (WGA)
Whole Grade Advancement is determined on an individual basis in accordance with needs assessments. WGA is an option that can be considered for the few, highly gifted students who:
● consistently perform 2-3 grade levels above his or her current grade level in literacy skills (reading, writing, listening, speaking) and mathematics. Performance at this higher level is demonstrated both in rote skills (reading words, fluency and math calculation) and most importantly, in academic application (reading comprehension, retelling, written language, math application and problem solving).
● have a comprehensive knowledge of science and social studies.
● are cognitively and conceptually capable of handling the increased demands of the next grade level by transferring previous learning and acquired knowledge to accomplish complex cognitive tasks.
● are socially and emotionally mature and typically demonstrates excellent interpersonal skills in their interactions with adults, and same age peers as well as with both older and younger students.
● are independent learners and actively seeks and persists in new and rigorous academic challenges.
The student who is whole grade advanced is able to go into the next highest grade and perform with the highest group of students. The student should be able to maintain this high level of performance throughout his/her school career.